Search This Blog


Tuesday, June 6, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 7

Day 7 - A card you bought in person and the story behind it.


For this one, it is not a Cub, but someone who I still loved as a young baseball fan:


From 2005 Upper Deck Classics, this is a Classic Materials jersey card of Kent Hrbek. I just had to have this card, because at the time, I didn't really have any hits of the former Minnesota Twins slugger. I may be a lifelong Cubs fan, but I grew up in a Minnesota Twins househoold, and in fact, one of my very first baseball memories was them winning the 1987 World Series. Hrbek was a big part of both of those teams, and I have always been a fan of his. What I really like about this card is that not only does it feature a little bit of the jersey's pinstripe, but there is also some threading from the hem, which gives it that extra something special.

2 comments:

  1. My relatives were big Twins fans. I wasn't a fan... but I do remember chasing down a Hrbek rookie card. I also eventually started collecting Puckett, because he was such a great contact hitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt email me your address so I can send you the Vance card.

    ReplyDelete