Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 21, 2017

2017 Topps Blaster Box

Having a hobby shop so close to me, it is rare that I pick up a retail blaster, but this is one that was actually given to me. As luck would have it, I won Eamus Catuli!'s "Favorite Card of 2016" contest, which was based solely on a randomizer, and my prize was a blaster box of 2017 Topps.

Each blaster contains 10 packs of 8 cards, and as always, plenty of inserts and parallels to be found. As a bonus, you also get a commemorative Jackie Robinson Day patch card of a current MLB player.

As far as the base cards go, I got 5 Cubs, which is pretty awesome. Of these, 2 are regular base cards, 2 are World Series Highlights cards, and 1 is a League Leaders card.


As far as parallels go, I got two: a Chris Davis Chrome, and a Stephen Piscotty Gold, numbered 456/2017


In addition to the Patch card, you also get 5 Jackie Robinson Day Tribute cards. Mine were Buster Posey, Paul Goldschmidt, Josh Donaldson, Carlos Correa, and Nolan Arenado. I also got a Father's Day card of Freddie Freeman and a Rookie card of Andrew Benintendi.


There were three 1987 Topps tribute cards featuring two players who had cards in the original set. They are different, however, as Nolan Ryan was on the Houston Astros at the time, and Bo Jackson had a Future Stars logo on his. I also really like the Carlos Correa card, with the team celebration depicted.


I got one of the Rediscover Topps promo cards. It's basically an add for some of Topps' on-line products, featuring a reprint of an older card on the front. This one is of Jackie Robinson's 1956 Topps card.


I also got one card from the MLB Network insert set, featuring current broadcaster, and former Cincinnati Reds first baseman Sean Casey.


In addition to the Jackie Robinson Day Tribute cards, another retail exclusive is the Award Winners insert set. I pulled Anthony Rizzo (Fielding Award), Mike Trout (MVP), David Ortiz (Hank Aaron Award), and Kenley Jansen (Reliever of the Year).


As I mentioned in my Jumbo box post, one of my favorite insert sets is 5 Tool. I just love the inclusion of five photos with the black background. I just think it looks cool. Anyway, I pulled two out of this box, Josh Donaldson and Buster Posey.


Lastly, my one hit was the included Jackie Robinson Day patch card of Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Aaron Nola. Although these aren't the traditional patch cards made of embroidered fabric, they still look amazing, and the sheen of the textured "patch" makes it look like something special.


Well, that's it for this box. Thanks to Tom for sending it to me, and thanks to Random.org for picking me as the winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment